Have you been feeling super cranky and lazy over the last few months? I call this the New Year resolutions syndrome: you subconsciously allow yourself to procrastinate because you tell yourself that it will be the new year soon and fresh beginnings and all that jazz. Well, it’s bullshit. You’re just procrastinating, there’s no such thing as powerful new year energy. It’s just a date on the calendar, it has nothing to do with anything if not your psychology.
I know, you’re thinking I’m a hypocrite right now, writing about new year resolutions and telling you that, by the way, it’s total bullshit. I think it is, as I went through making resolutions time and time again, with no real results to show up for it. Resolutions only work when they’re goals, and goals are only reached when they’re broken up into small tasks, and tasks are only actually done when they go in a list, and lists only work when they’re organized in weekly and daily to-do lists that are realistically planned out and that you actually follow. But that’s a topic for a whole other post.
To be honest, I didn’t write any resolution this year. I don’t want to. I’ve been following the steps I mentioned before, and I have a lot of goals and weekly plans, so I don’t need yet another list of things I should do. BUT. I wanted to give space to my fellow bloggers, only asking the coolest, weirdest, edgiest bloggers around for you to peek into their new year resolutions.
I felt all hyped up when I went through these girls’ resolutions. Because they’re the shit and you should get inspired by them.
New Year Resolutions Ideas
Sary from The Walrus Room
- Do something crazy with my hair. I’ve been growing it out for far too long!
- Support more alt/sustainable/ethical/vintage stores.
- Get my license.
- Write more creative fiction. Just because I’ve finished my writing degree doesn’t mean I should stop writing.
- Grow a plant. (And keep it alive)
Gaby from Breathing Fashion
Layla from Creepy Layla
I’ll be honest, I don’t make New Year’s resolutions. But if I did, and if I had to advise anyone on what changes to make to their lives – they’d probably look something like this:
- If you’re a smoker: Keep smoking! You’re going to die anyway.
- If you have a shopping problem: Start living by the words of Vivienne Westwood – “Buy less, choose well!”
- Start looking at life like you’re a 90-year-old on their death bed… Let me clarify: What things will your 90-year-old dying self-wish they had said or done? And anything that is bothering your teen/twenty-something self, do they matter now you’re nearly dead? It puts stuff into perspective, and always gives me motivation to take chances, even when I’m terrified.
- Believe the hype and start drinking lemon water in the morning. I’ve been doing this for about 6 months, it has helped clear my acne and put an end to the terribly painful acid reflux I used to get. It’s a simple change I made that has had one of the most profound effects on my body… ever! I suggest you do the same.
- AND REPEAT AFTER ME: I will follow and worship styleBizarre, Creepy Layla, and all of the other contributors to this post because they are the shit!
Well, if they’re not life changing resolutions, I don’t know what are! Have a good one 😉
Jamie Dee from Witchy a Go-Go
- Commit to developing a regular yoga practice.
- Educate myself further and go totally cruelty-free for all bath & beauty products.
- Revamp my wardrobe to create an aesthetic that resonates for my 2016 self, vs 2006. De-clutter, less is more.
- Unplug and stop Netflix binging – knit, hike, take time to cook healthy happy-making meals etc.
- Explore photography and other creative outlets, accept and embrace mistakes and learn from them.
Steffi from Anti-Muse
When Elisa asked me, to send her my 5 resolutions for next year I was excited. I told her, that I already wrote down 3 of my guiding thoughts for 2016 for myself, so this is what I’m gonna share with you. First of all, I decided to not overburden myself by making a ton of resolutions. I thought to myself, I’d rather focus on the main three topics, I want to improve myself within the next year. Here we go:
- To stay fit and in shape is one thing I want to take care of in 2016. If you think of the body as the house you live in, you want to treat it the best way you can. For me, this means keeping up with working out regularly and watching my eating habits by making healthy choices and eating more consciously.
- Another thing I want to look after in 2016 is my relationship to money. I want to be mindful about my finances in 2016. Money is a huge stabilizing factor in life so I want to make sure to be responsible about it once for all.
- Last but not least I want to put more heart, time and me into blogging. Do you know the saying „Do what you love and do it often“? This is, what this resolution is about.
Peet from For Peet’s Sake
New Year resolutions: they seem great in theory but are more or less useless in practice. At least that’s how I see it therefore I’ve never been tempted to make a list, ever — I just think to myself, if I don’t make a plan, nothing can go wrong, happy New Year to me! But maybe this year it’s time for a change, maybe this year I should try something different and thanks to the awesome Elisa I shall, because I simply couldn’t turn her down when she asked me to partake in this post so I was somehow ‘forced’ to give the New Year’s resolution mania a try. And I must say it was fun, but even more so I’m anxious to see how my resolutions play out in 2016. Fingers crossed!
- Drop 5 kilos. Or grow 10 centimeters, either one of the two. No more excuses this year!
- Learn how to squirt. It seems like a really useful trick. Especially when caught in a fire.
- Grow a beard. Because I’ve been really really really wanting a beard ever since my brother started sprouting facial hair.
- Adopt a panda. Because I like pandas. And I shall call him Rainbow and he shall be mine and he shall be my Rainbow.
- Learn mandarin. Or krav maga, either one of the two. Because you never know when you might find yourself in a situation which calls for one or the other. And because I like a challenge.
Nancy from Retro Electric
- First and foremost, let go of all my fears and worries. After years of soul-searching, I finally realized what my biggest “problem” in life is – it’s fear. It’s constantly worrying and not allowing myself to let go just for one second and realize everything’s fine. It’s the fear that’s stopping me in all areas of my life – from job interviews, to driver’s licence to personal relationships.
- Try to meditate at least for one minute a day and to control my thoughts (which is related to my first resolution). Now that I’ve made my patterns conscious, I need to learn how to calm my mind, and for once choose faith instead of fear. Now I understand this, in theory, but I need to work on how to apply it in everyday life, it’s not easy.
Try to think of at least three things that I’m thankful for each day and enjoy the things I already have, enjoy smaller successes instead of always focusing on the next “big” goal. Continue writing my New Moon wishes, because I really believe it works.
- Get my own domain for my blog. Try to post twice a week (I think it’s optimal for me, once is too little, and I definitely couldn’t manage to post every day). Find more interesting shooting locations. Maybe write about some alternative fashion trends and musicians whose style I admire.
- Try to eat some salad or fruit (or at least fresh fruit juice) every day. Try to have at least 10 homemade meals weekly. Exercise at least three times a week for at least 20 minutes (I have my dance classes twice a week, so that would make it 3 hours a week).
- Show the world what I’m really all about, dare to be different and less playing it safe. Less “conventional” looks, more fun, more fake fur and leather, more sequins and metallics, more extravagance, much more me!
[two_third_first]Danie from Spiked Black Tee
- Going vegan
- Embracing my new fashion style
- Be more social online
- Learn Italian
- Hone in my blogger photography skills
And we’re done! What about your New Year resolutions? Have you already set some or did you get some inspiration from these awesome chicks? Let us know in a comment below.